After a long, hard day of shopping (he he), Leah and I came home to find a David ready to make us dinner. He grilled a tequila-lime chicken and these pineapple skewers as a side. And they were awesome. The pineapple gets all caramelized, which really brings out the sweetness, but in addition, the molasses-rum glaze tasted almost like toasted marshmallows by the time everything was done. Grilled pineapple is delicious, but this took it up a notch! I’d make this again anytime.
Molasses & Rum-Glazed Grilled Pineapple Skewers
- 1/3 Cup Molasses
- 1/4 Cup dark rum
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 Tablespoons of butter, cut into pieces
- 1 small pineapple
1) Put the molasses, rum, lime juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium high and cook until reduced to about 1/3 of a cup.
2) Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.
3) Cut the pineapple into chunks, spears, or wedges, whatever you want.
4) Brush the grill grate with oil so the pineapple doesn’t stick. Put the pineapple on the grill and cook until nicely grill marked, about 3-5 minutes per side. Brush with some glaze during the last two minutes of grilling. Remove to a plate and brush with the remaining glaze. Serve warm.