Our first wedding or engagement gift of any kind was a panini press that David’s mom picked up for us. It’s cast-iron/enamel, similar to this one. We actually use it quite a bit. Often, our panini are just glorified grilled cheeses (and there’s nothing wrong with that!) but last time, I created something a little more special.
Chicken & Bacon Panini with Sun-Dried Tomato Aioli
For each sandwiches:
- Two slices of good quality bread (We like this sourdough)
- 1 tablespoon of whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato aioli (recipe follows)
- 2 ounces thinly sliced deli or leftover chicken breast
- 2 slices crispy bacon
- 1 ounce fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
1. Preheat a panini pan and press over medium high heat.
2. Spread one slice of bread with the aioli. Top with fontina cheese, followed by chicken, bacon, and cheddar cheese, in that order. Spread the remaining slice of bread with mustard to complete the sandwich. .
3. Brush the outside of the sandwich (both slices of bread) with extra virgin olive oil.
4. Place in panini pan and top with press. The sandwich is done when the bread is crisp all around and the cheese is melted all the way through. Slice in half and serve immediately.
Sun-Dried Tomato Aioli
Makes enough for 4 sandwiches
- 1/4 cup of mayonaise
- 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatoes (oil packed), drained
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Turn on your food processor and drop garlic cloves into the bowl through the feeding tube to chop. When the garlic has been minced, scrape down the sides andadd the other ingredients. Pulse until combined, about 10 times.