Warning: This is not a healthy recipe. We’re not even going to talk about Points today.
Now that that’s out of the way…
These tasty little appetizers are cheesy bites of heaven. You make rich, gooey, melty cheese sauce, use it to coat bread chunks, then freeze them and bake them to puff them up. My favorite part of the recipe is that you can do all the work in advance–the prep work leaves you with a bag of frozen puffs that only require 10 minutes in the oven to finish. Perfect for parties or family get-togethers!
The Pioneer Woman’s Cheddar Puffs
- 1 loaf Crusty French Bread, Cut Into 1-inch Cubes
- ½ stick Butter
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1-½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, Sliced
- 1-½ cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
- 2 whole Egg Whites, Beaten
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add Dijon and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add grated cheddar and stir until melted. Turn off heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold in egg whites.
- Dunk bread cubes in cheese, coating thoroughly. Place on a nonstick baking mat or sheet of waxed paper and freeze for 20 minutes, uncovered. Remove frozen chunks from tray and place into a Ziploc bag. Store in the freezer.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place frozen cheese puffs on a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper, and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately or at room temperature.