Strawberry Ice Cream
It’s been awhile since we talked about ice cream, hasn’t it?
This recipe starts with margaritas. Strawberry margaritas. A few weeks ago, Sarah and Kat came over for a weekend to celebrate Leah’s birthday and to have girly time. We spent the weekend playing with Kat’s dog Brody, playing cards, and hanging out. Oh, and drinking Strawberry Margaritas. David brought home a delicious bottled strawberry mix for daquiris and margaritas, and I can honestly say it was the most delicious bottled mixer I’ve ever had. The strawberry flavor was great; it wasn’t too sweet, or too sour. And you could tell there were actual strawberries in it, in part because the mix still had some seeds in it. I made excellent margaritas.
It also inspired me to make strawberry ice cream. I followed the general recipe from the Ben & Jerry’s Orange Dream Ice Cream that I’ve made before, substituting this strawberry blend for the orange concentrate. The result was the tastiest Strawberry Ice Cream I’ve ever had.
Strawberry Ice Cream
Adapted from Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book
- 2 large or extra large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry margarita mix
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries, finely chopped (I used the chopping capabilities of our stick blender)
1. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend. Add the vanilla extract and strawberry mix and blend again.
2. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker. Add while the mixer is on the low setting, then turn it up to high. When the mixture is almost finished (about 1-2 minutes before it’s completely frozen) add the chopped strawberries to the mix.
When it’s done in the ice cream machine, the ice cream will be the consistency of soft-serve. Freeze for at least two hours for a solid, scoopable ice cream.