Ben & Jerry’s Orange Cream Dream Ice Cream
Ice cream time again! I warmed up the ol’ ice cream maker again (cooled down?) and this time, made a tasty orange-vanilla concoction. Orange isn’t my favorite flavor of anything, but Leah and David were both hoping I’d make this one, and I gave in. I actually kind of liked it. It wasn’t my ultimate favorite, but it had a nice flavor.
Orange Cream Dream Ice Cream
Adapted from Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book
- 2 large or extra large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend. Add the vanilla extract and orange juice concentrate and blend again.
2. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker. Add while the mixer is on the low setting, then turn it up to high.
When it’s done in the ice cream machine, the ice cream will be the consistency of soft-serve. Freeze for at least two hours for a solid, scoopable ice cream.
Note: To punch up the orange juice flavor (and tone down the vanilla) I added about 3-4 tablespoons of extra orange juce concentrate. Next time, I might halve the vanilla, too. I’m sure it’s perfect as written for all you dreamcicle lovers out there, but for me, I prefer the orange to the cream half of the equation.